- 9g Oscar Mayer® Natural Hardwood Smoked Bacon (1 slice, cooked crisp)
- 28g KetoVie Café Kwik Mix (¼ cup)
- 9g Kroger® Yellow Corn Meal (1 Tbs)
- 0.6g baking soda (⅛ tsp)
- 1 pinch salt
- 30g heavy cream, 36% (1 oz)
- 1.5g vinegar, white distilled (about ¼ tsp)
- 14g canola oil (1 Tbs)
- + extra oil for frying
- 14g egg, raw, mixed (1 Tbs)
- Optional: for dipping, sugarfree Walden Farms® Pancake or Maple Walnut Syrup
- Cook 1 slice of bacon until crisp.
- Mix cream and vinegar in a cup, stir, and let stand for 5 min. Then stir again.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Crumble a slice of cooked crisp bacon in your hands into small bits and add to the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine mixed whole egg, cream and vinegar mixture and oil. Mix until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- In a small pan, heat oil (about ½ inch of oil in the pan). Once oil has warmed up, carefully add batter to the pan in 1 Tbs servings. Fry on medium heat until golden brown for about 1.5 minutes on each side. Do not let oil smoke or hush puppies burn. Reduce the heat as needed.
- Using a spatula, remove cooked hush puppies from the pan and serve with sugar-free syrup for dipping.
- NOTE: When hush puppies were weighed before and after frying, they weighed on average 7-8% more, thus it was determined that the ratio of cooked hush puppies was closer to 3:1 ratio given oil absorbed during frying. However, it is difficult to determine with certainty given moisture loss during frying.
- Calories ~517 after frying.
Recipe developed by Lisa Shkoda, RDN, CNSC, FAND, University of Virginia.
- Calories: 449 kcals
- Net carbs: 9.6g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Fat: 42.4g